header-custom

Home  +   About  +   Races + Recaps  +   50 States  +   DIY  +   Books

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

2018 Year of Running + 2019 Goals

My Instagram top nine
Just like 20152016, and 2017 I'm joining Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC for the annual Year of Running linkup. But first, some stats and notes:

2018 Stats

  • Total running miles: 1,031 miles 
  • Elevation: 58,719 ft
  • Races: 12
  • Injury: 1 -- It got better in the spring, but flared up on the trails in June. I know what to do to avoid it, but I'm chronically lazy about doing my stretches. At the moment my knee is mostly fine. Minor pain and an all clear from the PT. 

Linkup Questions

Best race experience: I didn't have a great second half of the year for racing: two half marathons were ruined by stomach issues and I felt underprepared for speed in three 5ks. But the beginning of the year was pretty good. On the road, I enjoyed Cap City because I felt bad going in, but by mile 5 everything clicked and I had a big PR. On the trail, I enjoyed the Rut 11k.

Best run: All of my best runs have been with my friend Wendie, including my first 20 miler! Our personal best (/fastest) was a kick ass 14 miler a month ago. My best solo run is harder to pin down. Maybe doing 3 M laps in June and feeling really strong. M laps mean "running" (walking) up the side of a nearby mountain and coming down.

Best new piece of running gear: I don't think I bought any new gear– just more clothes. My current favorite running tights are Bird Hug by Oiselle. My favorite top is the Flyout tee in a size up for a looser fit. (By the way, if you've never tried Oiselle, here's a code for $20 off $50.)

Best running advice you’ve received this year: Lauren Fleshman gave a talk at the Tenacious Ten about envisioning your race finish and making a race plan to achieve it. I wanted to be "satisfied and smiling" and because I was more focused on enjoying myself, I didn't look at my watch and ended up running paces I never imagined. Also –I don't usually bookmark quotes on Instagram because I'm kind of heartless– this quote stood out and may be the way I approach 2019. Adapted from here:
"Be a hill seeker. Most of us try to avoid hills... Life happens on the hills. They're opportunities to prove to yourself that you're stronger than you ever imagined."
Most inspirational runner: I continue to enjoy following "normal" runners on Instagram. The people who fit in runs however they can in a busy, well-rounded life.

Favorite picture from a run or race this year: I really only had 2 competitive races this year and some decent official race photos, but since my focus was on FUN, I like these:

Tenacious Ten with Megan; Bozeman Half with Wendie


Race experience you would repeat in a heartbeat: I don't have a go-to Montana race yet... maybe Run to the Pub if I can stay out of the walking traffic. I'm looking forward to trying a new half in Utah this year.

If you could sum up your year in a couple of words what would they be? Fun. Envy. Stupid knee. But mostly, FUN.


Review 2018 Goals

  • 5K PR. All miles under 7:55. NOPE. I didn't feel 100% at the 5ks I ran this year 
  • Half PR. All miles under 8:59. YEP. 1:53. I basically crushed it. Yay "altitude training."
  • 10k PR. 8:30 pace or better. YEP. 51:57. My friend Megan helped! 
  • Keep up strength training. YEP. I go to TRIBE 2x a week, but could still do better. 
  • Avoid injury! KIND OF? I didn't get a new injury and I can run without much knee pain. 
  • Keep running with other people. YEP. All of my high mileage runs were with Wendie!


2019 Goals

  • 5K PR. All miles under 7:55. Let's try this again, shall we? 
  • Half PR. Why not? 
  • Finally run a full. I got into Chicago, so I'll put this on the list so I can cross it off. 
  • Keep strength training. Perhaps I'll add another class. We'll see. 
  • Avoid injury. Do PT stretches!!! No excuses! It keeps the knee pain away. 
  • Do hard things. I avoid hills. I avoid long midweek runs. And I avoid running with people faster than me. I avoid all of these things even though I feel happy and accomplished when the runs are over. I need to embrace the suck and I will get stronger! 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on meeting almost all the goals! Hope your knee stays strong...I'm trying to keep up with the PT exercises too.

    ReplyDelete

I read and respond to each comment (either here or I will visit your blog.) Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...