header-custom

Home  +   About  +   Races + Recaps  +   50 States  +   DIY  +   Books

Saturday, December 31, 2016

2016 Year of Running

My Instagram top 10
Once again, I'm linking up with Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC for the annual Year of Running linkup. Nothing like chiming in at the last possible minute. ;)

2016 stats

Total miles: 1,000!! For reference, 2015 was 800 and 2014 was 550.
Races: 21
PRs:
  • 5k (24:35)
  • 4 Miler (33:31)
  • Quarter (57:13)
  • Half (1:58)
Awards: (I've never won anything before this year.)
  • 2 top 5
  • 1 top 10
  • 6 AG wins,
  • 3 AG commemorative awards 


    Linkup Questions

    Best race experience: After reviewing my races, my answer surprised me: the Indy Women's Half (recap) was probably my favorite race. I didn't PR, but I didn't intend to since I was running it as training. There was a downpour from mile 4 to the end and I figured it would get stopped like last year and didn't mentally prepare for 13.1 miles. But about halfway through I embraced the crazy weather and had a great time.

    Best run: One of my best solo runs happened on a Thursday night in early December. After months of heat and humidity the temperature plummeted and I remembered why I love winter running. My best group run was the tough sand dune climb at Great Lakes Birdcamp. It took us over an hour to go 3.5 miles (we hiked the uphills, ran the downhills), but I came out of it with new friends and a sense of accomplishment. Plus, it was gorgeous.

    Sleeping Bear Dunes, Michigan

    Best new piece of running gear: Practical gear: the Mizuno safety vest I won at a pub run. Clothing: surprise, surprise it's Oiselle. The O Snap Tank lead me to O's lux long sleeve. Oh man, the fabric is so soft and sweat-wicking. I live in them now. (And I promise, you can find lux on sale.)

    Best running advice you’ve received this year: Anything where the basic gist is, "keep going." "It's supposed to hurt." or "Any forward motion is progress." At the Indy Women's Half I made up a new personal mantra: "Just keep running. You aren't going to die." (not very eloquent, huh?)

    Most inspirational runner: This year I climbed aboard the Kara Goucher train (this video is great). Kara missed out on an Olympic spot and was super honest about her disappointment, while still supporting the ladies who made it. Classy. Other favorite 2016 runners include Meb (of course!) and Desi. I loved watching them in the Trials and at the Olympics.


    Race experience you would repeat in a heartbeat: Indy Women's... but also, any of the 5ks where I got age group awards because I didn't feel as tired as I should have, so I know I can go faster!

    Favorite picture from a run or race this year: I have two kinds: one set where I look like I'm getting the job DONE at Medina (all lies. It was tough.) and another where I... well, you can see. (Indy Women's Half - finishing after the downpour.)

    If you could sum up your year in a couple of words what would they be? Fun, but exhausting. I had a fantastic spring, but faced intense burnout in the hot, hot summer... which trickled into fall. I took some time off to recharge and remember why I like running. 2 mile training runs for the win. (And cold temps with zero humidity...)

    2017 Goals

    This is tough because I've been wavering over what goals to declare.

    Realistic goals:
    • New 5k PR: I dropped 2 minutes between 2015 and 2016. Now I want all of my miles at a 7:55 or better pace and not just the first or last mile. 
    • New half PR of 1:56 or below: I would love my splits to be in the mid to upper 8s, minus the first one or two miles.  
    • 10k PR at the Tenacious Ten in Seattle. What better place for a PR than surrounded by Oiselle teammates? Plus, my 10k PR is from the middle of a longer race.
    • Speed work and hill repeats at least once a week. I have some hilly races in April/May and need to prepare.  
    Pie in the sky:
    • Consistent stretching and strength training
    • Longer mid-week runs 
    • Half PR under 1:54. I know I can, but will I do the work to get there and can I power through mid-race doubt and fatigue? 
    • Keep up my speed in the summer. I need to work on running through humidity.

    Did you join the linkup? 
    What are your 2017 goals?

    Eat Pray Run DC Year of Running 2016

    4 comments:

    1. I think you can totally hit those 1/2 goals, lady! 2017 is gonna be great. Happy New Year (and the linkup is open for 6 more days so you are very timely :))

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh good! I should have known it would be open extra long. ;)

        Delete
    2. Congrats on running 1,000 miles and all of those award winning races! I like the challenge and added variety of speedwork and hills - great goals for '17. I'm hoping to run another ultra race this year.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! I'm excited to follow along with your ultra training. I'd like to do one someday. Baby steps!

        Delete

    I read and respond to each comment (either here or I will visit your blog.) Thank you for stopping by!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...