header-custom

Home  +   About  +   Races + Recaps  +   50 States  +   DIY  +   Books

Monday, December 31, 2012

Books of 2012

This year I finished 71 books: 

My original goal for 2012 was 30 books. I had a busy/stressful year, but found that reading and running helped regulate my arrrggghh levels (technical term). I upped my goal somewhere along the lines to 50... then decided I wanted to read 70 about a week ago (it was so close). 
  • 4 audiobooks
  • 4 graphic novels
  • 4 non fiction
  • 59 fiction

Here they are: (Most recent first. Click to enlarge.)
A complete list with title and author can be found at the bottom of this post. 



Classics / "school books"
This was a big one for me this year. I tend to read at least a few classics a year. I consider classics to be books like Tess of the D'Urbervilles (loved.), Howards End, and The Mayor of Casterbridge. I also tried to fill in the "classics I didn't have to read in school" blanks. Those books include Heart of Darkness, Of Mice and Men, Lord of the Flies, and even Number the Stars. (I had a few young books in there.) 

Books released in 2012 + current bestsellers
I am normally REALLY bad about reading new books. I think it took me 3 years to read The Time Traveler's Wife, even though my friends loved it.  This year, I took full advantage of the library and got on early wait-lists for The Casual Vacancy (ended up buying), The Twelve, Gone Girl, and even Ke$hs'a book.

Etc:
I love Thomas Hardy. 
I hated so many "second in the trilogy" books this year. So disappointing. 
Yes, I read Fifty Shades of Gray. I liked 1, loved 2, hated 3.

Years Past (in case you made it this far and like data)

Books read*

Pages read
*I joined Goodreads halfway through 2008. 

Complete list of books and authors: 

  1. The Passage Justin Cronin
  2. The Fault in Our Stars John Green
  3. Essential Encounters Therese Kuoh-Moukoury
  4. Anthem Ayn Rand
  5. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? Mindy Kaling
  6. Dead to You Lisa McMann
  7. Delirium Lauren Oliver
  8. Tracy Anderson's 30-Day Method Tracy Anderson
  9. Revoltingly Young: The Journals of Nick Twisp's Younger Brother C.D. Payne
  10. Bossypants Tina Fey
  11. Howards End, E.M. Forster
  12. Annie John Jamaica Kincaid
  13. Never Let Me Go Kazuo Ishiguro
  14. The Good Theif Hanna Tinti
  15. Divergent Veronica Roth
  16. Spoiled Fug Girls
  17. Gone Michael Grant
  18. Infinity Rachel Ward
  19. The Fame Game Lauren Conrad
  20. The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead Max Brooks
  21. Lord of the Flies William Golding
  22. Hatchet Gary Paulsen 
  23. Bridge to Teribithia Katherine Paterson
  24. Fifty Shades of Gray E.L. James
  25. A Lost Lady Willa Cather
  26. Thirteen Reasons Why Jay Asher
  27. The English Patient Michael Ondaatje
  28. Dangerous to Know Tasha Alexander
  29. Girl Walks into a Bar . . .: Comedy Calamities, Dating Disasters, and a Midlife Miracle Rachel Dratch
  30. Insurgent Veronica Roth
  31. The River Gary Pulsen 
  32. Fellow Townsmen Thomas Hardy
  33. The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum Heinrich Böll
  34. Number the Stars Lois Lowry
  35. Midnight in Austenland Shannon Hale
  36. The Sugar Queen Sarah Addison Allen
  37. The Remains of the Day Kazuo Ishiguro
  38. If on a Winter's Night a Traveler... Italo Calvino
  39. World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War Max Brooks
  40. Tess of the D'Urbervilles Thomas Hardy
  41. The Inheritance Louisa May Alcott
  42. Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2) Lois Lowry
  43. Fifty Shades Darker E.L. James
  44. Messy Fug Girls
  45. The Mayor of Casterbridge Thomas Hardy
  46. A Room with a View E.M. Forster
  47. Fifty Shades Freed E.L. James
  48. Austenland Shannon Hale 
  49. Beasts of No Nation Uzodinma Iweala
  50. Beauty Queens Libba Bray
  51. On Beauty Zadie Smith
  52. The Museum at Purgatory Nick Bantock
  53. Brian's Winter Gary Paulsen
  54. The Scorpio Races Maggie Stiefvater
  55. Gone Girl Gillian Flynn
  56. The Casual Vacancy J.K. Rowling 
  57. Starstruck Lauren Conrad 
  58. When it Happens to You Molly Ringwald
  59. A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel Hope Larson 
  60. The Twelve Justin Cronin 
  61. My Crazy Beautiful Life Ke$ha
  62. The Yellow Wallpaper Charlotte Perkins Gilman
  63. Reached Ally Condie
  64. The Magicians Lev Grossman 
  65. Windflower Nick Bantock 
  66. The Death-Ray Daniel Clowes
  67. Drawn & Quarterly Showcase: Book Two Chris Oliveros
  68. Pussey! Daniel Clowes
  69. Heart of Darkness and The Secret Sharer Joseph Conrad
  70. The Pearl John Steinbeck
  71. Of Mice and Men John Steinbeck


Did we read any of the same books? As always, if you're on Goodreads, let's be friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and respond to each comment (either here or I will visit your blog.) Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...