header-custom

Home  +   About  +   Races + Recaps  +   50 States  +   DIY  +   Books

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Week 1: June 13-19 Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes

This week's sky shot from Saturday morning.

Happy Sunday! I'm linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for another weekly review. I'm training for an October half marathon using the Hanson's Half Marathon plan (you can read more about it here). 

Week of June 13-19
Monday: off + walk to work
Tuesday: off + walk to work
Wednesday: speed work - warm up, 5x1000m, cool down + walk to work
Thursday: rest + walk to work
Friday: rest + walk to work
Saturday: 3 miles
Sunday: rest

Total Miles: 8 mi
2016 Total: 476.9 mi

Hanson's plans start on Thursdays with an easy build up over the first four weeks, so I filled my free time with home organization and cooking. The theme of my week: changes (to the plan). I had three planned group runs between Wednesday and Monday (6/15–6/20) and modified my plan accordingly.

Speed work (photo by Fleet Feet Columbus)
Trapped in my car


I swapped the first Thursday workout for Wednesday group speed work. It was very hot and humid with a threat of thunderstorms. I tried to hydrate all day, but when we got going I knew I'd be sluggish. We ran ~1 mile warm up, 5 x 1000m laps (around a fantastic neighborhood) at tempo (8:44-8:50ish), and ~1 mile cool down. It was tough for me to keep speed, but I finished. Not a confidence booster and I'm hoping I can adjust to the heat and get my speed back, but it was good to get out there and get it done!

Speaking of weather, it began to sprinkle during the final lap and poured during the cool down run back to our cars. I have never run in that much rain. So fun, but I was soaked by the time I got back to my car. The rain (and hail!) was so intense I had to wait in my car for 20 minutes and take back roads when I finally left.

Saturday was my normal group run and a second modification: 3 miles instead of 4. The half marathoners ran 3 and I was tempted to join the fulls for 7 but my left ankle started to hurt. I have new shoes and bragged all week about not needing my normal Superfeet insoles, so Saturday's run was a possible wake up call. I wrapped my ankle and it's already feeling much better. I also had a visitor all day, made a tasty soup, and put together a huge pile for Goodwill while we chatted. Very productive day!

Saturday's yummy chicken, potato, corn, and bean soup.

Sunday should have been 4, but Alex and I have a fun run tomorrow night (Monday) to celebrate the longest day of the year. We'll be running 4 miles around downtown Columbus, followed by beer and modeling free t-shirts! The run was $20 and put on by the parent company of the Brokeman's Half Marathon (of which I am an ambassador). This run was set up to test their new timing equipment and to gather a large group of people to model apparel for their website. It should be a good time!

Kind of a bumbling start to a well-structured plan, but I'm flexible when it comes to moving workouts. I'm slowly getting used to the heat and humidity and social runs are a welcome distraction. I won't lie: I kind of miss snowy winter runs!

Have you ever been caught in a downpour while running? 
Do you feel guilty moving workouts? 

12 comments:

  1. Ahh the dreaded downpour during a run. Yup, it has happened to me too but honestly as long as I have a visor, it does not bother me. It's interesting that you had problems without your special insoles. My Orthopaedic doctor told me to eliminate those from my shoes after I had the IT band injury in January and I have been fine with the regular shoe insoles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going out for 4 miles tonight and will see how my ankle feels without the insoles. My first 3 runs in the shoes were fine, so Saturday's pain was odd. Running in the rain is so fun, but I'm with you: I need a visor or hat!

      Delete
  2. I agree that I love running in the winter too and the summer is a struggle! Running in the rain can be fun, but I've never dealt with hail, yikes! Sometimes we have to move things around in our training plan, but in the long run, you gottta do what works best for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt a little bad rearranging workouts, but only because it was week 1. I know other weeks will be normal. I need to convince myself to keep trucking during this hot weather because I know it will pay off in the fall!

      Delete
  3. The worst downpour was while walking my dogs. It was very scary because of the intense lightning. I don't mind running in the rain so much, especially if it's hot. I think we've got to be flexible to have a successful training cycle. Your planned Monday run sounds like fun. Thanks for linking Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I bet your dogs were so scared! We had a bad storm two nights ago and my dog (who normally doesn't care about weather) was pacing around the house and looking for attention. He kept us up for awhile!

      Delete
  4. I've never been caught in a down pour during a run but I have run a race in the rain before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like rainy races as long as there isn't lightning!

      Delete
  5. You took those changes like a champ this week too! I did get caught in a lightning storm that came up quite quickly one day. It's actually how I met a good friend. She saw me running and she came to get me in her car, how sweet was that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great story! I do feel like extreme weather can bring runners together. That was so nice of her to offer shelter!

      Delete
  6. I HATE running in the rain. Was caught in only one downpour this year. I think I am going to like training in the summer better than winter, due to running when it is light and not zero dark thirty. Then again, we have 0 humidity. I start marathon training this week !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the longer days in the summer, I just wish they weren't so hot and humid! I would love zero humidity because the warm weather isn't too bad.

      Delete

I read and respond to each comment (either here or I will visit your blog.) Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...