header-custom

Home  +   About  +   Races + Recaps  +   50 States  +   DIY  +   Books

Monday, June 13, 2016

Week 0: June 6-12

I'm back and linking up with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin for my first weekly review of my new training cycle! I've had a few weeks to rest and relax (with some short runs for fun), but I'm ready and raring to go with a new plan. 

Goal Race: was Loveland Half Marathon, now Autumn Blast Half October 15, 2016
So this is kind of strange: I signed up for my favorite half marathon (Loveland) on December 31 and even convinced a friend to join. Prior to my spring sub-2, it was my go-to race for half PRs. Well, there was a hiccup. Loveland is undergoing a town makeover and the race has been moved 20 minutes north and renamed the "Autumn Blast Half." Same day, same time, new location. Luckily it's not any farther from the hotel and it looks like it goes along a scenic bike path (which is my favorite part of Loveland). It's hard for me to definitively set my sights on a PR so we'll see how the fall goes. I'm open to adding another race in November if I'm not burnt out.

Autumn Blast course. One BIG hill then mostly flat.



Training Plan: Hanson's Half Marathon plan... for now.
I read the Hanson's book (review coming) and I get it: put in the work, reap the rewards. It's based on cumulative muscle fatigue, which is something I've avoided because my other plans had days off or short runs after hard workouts. I did really well November - March and didn't miss more than one or two workouts (plus I had a run streak), so I know I can run 6 days a week.

The questionable detail for me is milage. Can I (/will I want to) run 40+ miles a week for 10 weeks – especially in summer heat? In a perfect world (no job, no responsibilities) I could do it. But I don't know if I want to devote an hour a day to running (plus the hour after of showering and relaxing). It may sound lame, but I know my limits and I know that I enjoy a well-rounded life. I love running, but it's just one part of my work/life/run balance. That said, I'm going to give it a go. The first few weeks are very easy and I plan to ease my way into running far 6 days a week. (Far for me.) Additionally, I plan to attend group speed work Wednesday nights, a group run on Thursdays, and my normal long group run on Saturday.

My schedule... for now.

Disclaimer: If you want to try Hanson's do not use the schedule above. I adjusted the plan to fit my group run schedule and may move my off day. Plus, I haven't picked my goal time, so there's a lot of extra data at the bottom. I know I can do 1:55:00, but I may push for 1:53:00.

If I end up hating Hanson's I'll go back to my normal training group plan but continue attending speed work. Even that small addition should make a big difference.

Have you tried a Hanson's plan? 
Are you injury prone? Would higher milage keep you away? 
What's you average weekly milage in the middle of a training cycle? (Mine's about 20-30 miles)


12 comments:

  1. Knowing your limit in terms of training is SO SO SO important! I think you are really smart to adjust the plan to make it appropriate for your lifestyle. I've been enjoying my carefree approach to running and the thought of building a half marathon training plan scares me a bit. But that's good right? Keeps you humble, keeps you honest. Have a great week! -C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to trust my gut during this cycle. If it starts to feel like something I dread I'm going to scale back. I know the plan will push me to a good PR, but I also know adding speed work to my existing plan would also help. Hansons vs. just adding speed work may be the difference of a few minutes, but I'd rather be happy than "fast!" ;)

      Delete
  2. I could never do Hanson's because I can not run that often. Not only physically, but I would also be afraid of bore out. But then again, I am probably 20 years older than you, so it will probably be more manageable for you. Many people who use it swear by it, but its not for me. I will be interested in following your training though !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind running often, but the milage might be crazy. I'm going to try waking up earlier and give it a good try, but if I don't like it at least I can say I tried. Also you are NOT 20 years older than me! ;)

      Delete
  3. I look forward to seeing how this training plan works out for you. And your upcoming review on the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be interesting. I'm already messing up because I plan to run with friends tonight and it's technically a rest day. haha A good start!

      Delete
  4. I read Hansons marathon book and thought it was really interesting. I think you might find that you like higher mileage once you get used to the scheduling, etc. I've found that if I run more miles my body actually feels better most of the time. It's once I dip below a certain level that I start feeling sluggish and suffer more injuries. I guess it's just a matter of finding your sweet spot :) Best of luck with the new plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading it was interesting. If I don't follow the plan exactly, I think I will still end up running father and more often than normal. I am hoping to feel the positive effects of running 5-6 times a week. I get lazy when I start to skip runs and it becomes harder to get back into it. We'll see what happens! ;)

      Delete
  5. At my age, and with my history of injuries, it's probably not the best plan for me. But, the overwhelming factor would be the summer heat. Maybe I could use Hanson's in our mild winters. Good luck! I'll be following right along. Thanks for linking with us Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - the heat will be a true test for me. I am so much better in -10 degrees with snow! Perhaps if I scrap the plan this cycle, I'll bring it back out int he winter!

      Delete
  6. I use the Hansons training plan for Marine Corps Marathon in 2014. I was worried about the high mileage and 6 days/week of running. But I really thrived on it and it surprised me. However, I do feel like their style may be a bit too much for a half marathon. But you are experienced at half's and you have a big goal, so it may be best to take an aggressive approach.

    I'm interested to see what you decide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Hanson's really needs a half plan between "Just Finish" and "Beginner." I'm using Beginner and it's still more miles than an Advanced plan from my training group (or Hal Higdon). I can't even imagine completing the Advanced Hanson's plan! I'm going to give it a go and see what happens. If anything it'll get me outside more often in the hot hot heat!

      Delete

I read and respond to each comment (either here or I will visit your blog.) Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...