header-custom

Home  +   About  +   Races + Recaps  +   50 States  +   DIY  +   Books

Monday, April 27, 2015

Running Favorites

Wouldn't this be lovely? (Photo from unsplash)


Happy Monday! I saw these questions on Back at Square Zero and Eat Pray Run DC with an open invite to chime in, so why not? 

Running location: trail / road / indoors? 
Trail. Preferably shaded and not too rocky or hilly so I can zone out. We have a nice 13-mile bike path nearby, but I prefer dirt trails over paved asphalt. The closest wooded trails are a 25 minute drive and pretty rocky and hilly. A challenge for sure, but not practical for every day running.

Time of day to run: Morning, Noon or Evening?
I love my long run Saturdays because I'm done running by 8 or 9am and don't have to do anything the rest of the day to feel productive. ;) Unfortunately, I'm a night owl and can't make myself get out of bed before work during the week, so I usually end up running after 5pm.

Weather: Sunshine, Mild or Hot?
Mild or cool. I enjoy 40-50 degree runs the most. I am a terrible hot weather runner (which I need to remember so that I don't sign up for anything crazy during July and August).

Fuel: Before, After and sometimes during?
Before morning runs I eat two pieces of toast with peanut butter. I use Clif Shot gels in chocolate and double espresso near the halfway point on a long run. Afterwards I drink some Gatorade if it's provided, but my favorite post run drink is Snowville Creamery chocolate milk.

Accessories:  Music, Watch or more?
I stopped racing with my phone this year and use a Garmin Forerunner 10 to track my route. It's a nice intro to GPS watches. When I run with my phone during the week I have a Nathan water bottle with a phone pocket. I usually list to podcasts or my favorite BBC audio drama, The Archers. I always wear my RoadID bracelet and I'm currently obsessed with multi-function headbands and Buffs. More details can be found in this Friday Five post.

Reward:
Post race? Chocolate milk. I usually don't feel like eating a ton until later in the day (or the next day). Post workout? Plugging in my watch and viewing my route stats. I really love data.

Type of run: Long, tempo, intervals, hill repeats, progression, or recovery/easy? 
Long runs with my running group. They're easy and fun. I need to work on tempo and hills... Maybe this summer?

What are your running favorites? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and respond to each comment (either here or I will visit your blog.) Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...