header-custom

Home  +   About  +   Races + Recaps  +   50 States  +   DIY  +   Books

Monday, December 07, 2015

Naples Half / Broke Man's WWU Training Week 5

From Tuesday's run
Happy Monday. Time for a Weekly Review linkup with Hoho Runs and MissSippiPiddlin. My training cycle focuses on the Broke Man's Winter Warm Up (7.5 miler) and the Naples Half Marathon. You can read about each race in Week 1's recap


Week of Nov 30-Dec 6

Monday: 4 miles, 8:28 pace
Tuesday: 2.5 miles, 7:55 pace (with breaks)
Wednesday: 5 miles, 8:33 pace (with breaks)
Thursday: 1 mile, 7:59
Friday: 3 miles, 8:54 pace
Saturday: 1 mile, 8:00
Sunday: 1 mile, 7:37 (woo!!)

Total: 17.7 mi

Monday's unintentional "progression" run
I was a lazy this week and only ran once before work. Whoops. My weekly total should have been 21 miles and normally I'd feel guilty, but I've been nailing my workouts over the past month. My current plan is more advanced and has me running 5 times a week. Last December I was lucky if I fit in 2 runs a week. When I began running more regularly this summer, I ran 3-4 per week. So I'm feeling pretty good about where I am, despite the laziness. 

As I've mentioned in previous weeks, I'm in the middle of a run streak. (Today is day 36). The streak is cool because if I'm not in the mood to run I tell myself to run a mile and more often than not I finish my scheduled workout. I left work early on Monday to run, felt like crap, but ended up running a strong 4 miler with minimal stops for traffic. It felt great. 

We got to see Christmas lights while running in shorts and a tee shirt! 

On Tuesday Alex wanted to go downtown to run along the river and get in some stair training for our upcoming stair climb (I hit my donation goal in 1 day!). I did a bit on the steps, but I mostly stopped to take photos of the skyline as he ran steps. Between stops we ran together. As I've mentioned before he's really fast, but we stuck together for a few miles. He said he could tell I was getting faster. I ran 2.5 miles instead of 5, but it was a tough workout. I'd like to run with him on a weekly basis, but hopefully I can plan it out so that I'm not cutting distance. 

I honestly don't remember Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday's runs so they must have been awesome. My week started to get crazy with work and side work (illustrations for a children's book). I had a client meeting Saturday and an out of town friend, so Saturday's 5 became a quick mile. 

Tobias's new hangout spot
On Sunday, Alex volunteered to bike 5 miles while I ran, but by the time he got home from his side work (tree work) he was pooped. I spent the day decorating our house, cleaning, doing laundry, and getting rid of stuff and was kind of relieved he didn't want to go! I haven't had a productive house day in eons! His sister came over for a bit and said some really nice things about my running (eeee!) and I think her words carried my along on my fastest mile. Crazies part? It felt good and relatively natural. I'm enjoying these one mile days as their own separate challenge. I thought they'd be a waste of effort, but I'm getting a lot out of them. 

Here's a snippet that resonated with me from an article about Sarah 'Mac' Robinson and her experience with a run streak:
"...Robinson soon found herself hooked on the one-mile rest days. 
'The first time I did a mile run, I thought, "This is so silly." I didn’t think I’d get any benefit from it mentally or otherwise,' Robinson said. 'But the fresh air felt really nice, and it did nothing to strain my body. And after marathon training, I didn’t expect to feel a hit of the runner’s high after a mile.'”
I hope you all had a lovely week! I need to send out some secret Santa/blogger gifts this week. Are you participating in any gift exchanges this season? 


8 comments:

  1. I'm currently on Day 12 of the Runner's World Holiday Streak. Right now (12 days in) it's going well, but I know what's in store LOL I'm not typically a daily runner, but I do like doing streaks occasionally to shake things up. That daily mile (also on my usual "rest days") goes quickly and leaves me feeling great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - I also like the idea of shaking things up. I'm going to run til the end of the year and see how I feel. I don't think I'll keep streaking into 2016. I think it will be time for something new!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow look at those pictures of the skyline in lights. Very pretty, I can't imagine having such a cool place to run. Most of mine are on wooded roads, in a campground which is neat too, and around a lake. I dropped the ball on participating in a Christmas card swap from a blogger, boo! I hate that too. I appreciate you linking this post up with us. Hope ya have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we lived closer to wooded roads. My favorite trail system is a 30 minute drive (in non-rush hour). Running around a lake would be fun. I do love being around water!

      Delete
  3. Look at Tobias in his sweater. He is adorable. I've never tried putting one on my dogs. Hmmm...I wonder. I love the picture of the bridge with the lights reflected in the water. My favorite run is a progression run, but mine are not as speedy as yours! I am participating in a blogger holiday card swap. I'll be mailing mine tomorrow. I appreciate you linking with us! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tobias really likes putting his sweater on (usually means we're going somewhere), but he gets tired of it after a few minutes and starts to roll around to try and get it off. In fact, that's what he was doing under the tree. ;) I swear my run streak has made me faster. In October my runs were solidly in the 9s.

      Delete
  4. I need to get my secret blogger goodies out asap. I've got it all together, just need to wrap it up and make a trip to the post office. I'm slacking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pictures of the city! Tobias looks cute in his sweater! Great job on continuing your running streak!

    ReplyDelete

I read and respond to each comment (either here or I will visit your blog.) Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...