header-custom

Home  +   About  +   Races + Recaps  +   50 States  +   DIY  +   Books

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Books of April 2016


Oh man guys, I only read two books in April. I haven't had a less than 4 book month since I started using Goodreads (2008). I kind of feel bad, but while I enjoyed the books I read, I didn't tear through them. I read while walking to work and before bed, but April was packed to the brim with freelance illustrations, work, running, and... life. I can usually fit in reading no matter what I've got going on, but April was kind of a fail. C'est la vie... 
- - - - - - - -

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King
Review: 4 of 5
This short story collection was by far the most gruesome collection of Stephen King stories I've ever read. I usually don't get sick or grossed out when I read his books, but there were segments of each story that were so detailed and... messed up. The overarching theme seemed to be terrible people who do terrible things (and mostly men to women) and the consequences. The "lightest" story was the third one, "Fair Extension," and it was still pretty terrible.

"1922" and "Big Driver" were decent tales, "Fair Extension" was an interesting premise, but "A Good Marriage" was my favorite of the bunch. (Smart that they put it at the end!) I appreciated SK's afterward. He addressed the grisly nature of the stories and I felt a bit better about these terrible tales after reading his statement!

I'd only recommend this book to SK fans... and maybe people who like true crime shows.

Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding
Review: 3 of 5
I prefer Fielding's other non-Bridget book Cause Celeb, but this was an easy, fluffy read. There were parts of it that felt kind of sloppy, but the witty humor helped. It took me a lot longer to read this than I intended and I forgot about some of the minor side characters (one of whom became more important), but oh well. The end was stupid but –again– oh well.

- - - - - - - -

As always, these reviews were taken from my Goodreads. For past months, click here.

What did you read in April?
What are you reading now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and respond to each comment (either here or I will visit your blog.) Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...