Hola, it's Friday Five time! This week Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney are talking Race Signs, but I usually space out during races and can't remember specifics, so I'll leave that topic to the pros. I want to ask some (potentially stupid) burning questions. Feel free to chime in!
- What's the deal with compression socks / sleeves? I only run half marathons and usually get a little sore after runs over 8 or 9 miles. I sometimes take a hot bath, but most of the time I try to walk off the soreness. I didn't have too many issues this past season, but my legs were very sore for a few days after my PR in Loveland. If you use compression socks/sleeves/whatever, what do you use? Do you use them during or after a run? Did you use them before you ran full marathons?
- What does a salt stick taste like? They don't taste like straight up salt, right?
- Do marathoners plan for bathroom breaks? I know some things can't be avoided, but when you're imagining your race do you see a bathroom stop somewhere in there? Four or five hours is a long time to go without a break...
- What's the weirdest piece of running-related gear you own? For me, I suppose it's a foam roller... and I never use it. Is your weird gear helpful? What does it do?
- How do you feel your safest on a night run? I have a ton of reflective gear, run against traffic, and carry my phone but I still don't like running at night some times. How do you get rid of the fear of being bothered or getting hit by a car?