header-custom

Home  +   About  +   Races + Recaps  +   50 States  +   DIY  +   Books

Friday, January 02, 2015

Books of 2014

93 books (80 "real" books, 13 audiobooks)

Won on Goodreads: 9
Non-fiction / Memoirs: 20
Graphic Novels / Comics: 16
Classics: 8 (This is a low number for me!)

My original goal was 52 books, but that was kind of a cop-out. Based on years past, I knew I'd read at least 65 books. I always set these lowball goals just in case the year gets crazy. I don't think I'll be so unrealistic in 2015.

Like last year, I listened to audiobooks while running. Some time in the fall I ran out of good ones and switched to podcasts (Serial and BBC's The Archers, of course. On the Media is another current favorite). I'm sure I'll get back into audiobooks in 2015, but they were taking far too many runs to finish. The Lemony Snicket books are great for running (quick and funny), but I'm not a 9 year old so I felt a little odd spending my time on those...

Unlike last year, I did not have a particular challenge in mind. It was a relief to be able to read whatever I wanted. Unfortunately, I intended to make a sizable dent in my to-read shelf and that didn't happen. My shelf is jam-packed with books. I plan to organize it this weekend, but I'd estimate there are at least 100 books. Prior to this fall, I allowed myself to buy only $1 books at Half Price Books. As I realized I was reading more library books than those I owned, I stopped allowing myself to go to Half Price Books...

Anyway, without further ado... Most recent first. (Click to enlarge):





Complete List in ABC order by Author: (* = won on Goodreads)
  1. Megan Abbott, Dare Me 
  2. Daniel Abraham, A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 1
  3. Richard Adams, Watership Down
  4. Tasha Alexander, Death in the Floating City (Lady Emily, #7)
  5. Sarah Addison Allen, Lost Lake
  6. Sophia Amoruso, #GIRLBOSS
  7. Laurie Halse Anderson, The Impossible Knife of Memory
  8. Jacob M Appel, The Biology of Luck 
  9. Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility
  10. Richard Bachman (Stephen King), The Running Man
  11. Richard Bachman (Stephen King), The Long Walk
  12. Jo Baker, Longbourn
  13. Michael Barakiva, One Man Guy 
  14. Mac Barnett, Extra Yarn
  15. Drew Barrymore, Find It in Everything
  16. Melinda Tracy Boyce, AOA #1: The Daily Diary Comics of Melinda Boyce
  17. Libba Bray, The Diviners (The Diviners, #1)
  18. Libba Bray, Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2)
  19. Libba Bray, The Sweet Far Thing (Gemma Doyle, #3)
  20. Kate Brian, Private (Private, #1)
  21. Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
  22. Frances Hodgson Burnett, The Secret Garden
  23. Charles Burns, Black Hole
  24. Willa Cather, Alexander's Bridge
  25. Willa Cather, My Mortal Enemy
  26. Daniel Clowes, David Boring
  27. Gemma Correll, A Cat's Life
  28. Michael Crichton, The Andromeda Strain
  29. Roald Dahl, The Witches
  30. Mark Z. Danielewski, House of Leaves
  31. James Dashner, The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1)
  32. Rob Delaney, Rob Delaney: Mother. Wife. Sister. Human. Warrior. Falcon. Yardstick. Turban. Cabbage.
  33. Sarah Dessen, Just Listen
  34. Sarah Dessen, Lock and Key
  35. Cory Doctorow, In Real Life
  36. Lena Dunham, Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned"
  37. George Eliot, Silas Marner: The Weaver of Raveloe
  38. Nora Ephron, Heartburn
  39. Stephanie Feuer, Drawing Amanda 
  40. Becca Fitzpatrick, Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2)
  41. Matt Fraction, Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick
  42. Michel Gagné, The Saga of Rex
  43. Tavi Gevinson, Rookie Yearbook Two
  44. John Green, The Space & The Cat and the Mouse
  45. Lev Grossman, The Magician's Land (The Magicians, #3)
  46. Samantha Hahn, Well-Read Women: Portraits of Fiction's Most Beloved Heroines
  47. Chelsea Handler, My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands
  48. Matthew Inman, The Terrible and Wonderful Reasons Why I Run Long Distances
  49. Rael Isacowitz, Pilates 
  50. Dave Isay, All There Is: Love Stories from StoryCorps
  51. Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth
  52. Piper Kerman, Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison
  53. Kazu Kibuishi, Explorer: The Hidden Doors
  54. A.S. King, Reality Boy
  55. Elsie Larson, A Beautiful Mess Happy Handmade Home: Painting, Crafting, and Decorating a Cheerful, More Inspiring Space
  56. Elsie Larson, A Beautiful Mess Photo Idea Book: 95 Inspiring Ideas for Photographing Your Friends, Your World, and Yourself
  57. Jacques Lob, Snowpiercer, Vol. 1: The Escape
  58. Christopher McDougall, Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
  59. Lisa McMann, Gasp (Visions, #3)
  60. P.S. Meronek, Stay Another Night 
  61. Kristin Newman, What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding 
  62. Lauren Oliver, Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)
  63. Lauren Oliver, Requiem (Delirium, #3)
  64. Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
  65. Tonya Olsen, Room Recipes: A Creative and Stylish Guide to Interior Design
  66. Wolfgang Parker, Missing (Crime Cats #1)
  67. Gary Paulsen, Guts: The True Stories behind Hatchet and the Brian Books
  68. Jodi Picoult, Where There's Smoke
  69. Sophie Benini Pietromarchi, The Color Book 
  70. Amy Poehler, Yes Please
  71. Celia Rivenbark, Rude Bitches Make Me Tired: Slightly Profane and Entirely Logical Answers to Modern Etiquette Dilemmas
  72. Celia Rivenbark, You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl: Observations on Life from the Shallow End of the Pool
  73. Vicki Robin, Blessing the Hands That Feed Us: What Eating Closer to Home Can Teach Us About Food, Community, and Our Place on Earth
  74. Veronica Roth, Four: A Divergent Story Collection (Divergent, #0.1 - 0.4) 
  75. Rainbow Rowell, Fangirl
  76. Rainbow Rowell, Attachments
  77. Rainbow Rowell, Landline
  78. J.K. Rowling, The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2)
  79. Louis Sachar, Holes (Holes, #1)
  80. Sheryl Sandberg, Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
  81. Julie Schumacher, Dear Committee Members
  82. Lemony Snicket, The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book the First)
  83. Lemony Snicket, The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  84. Mariko Tamaki, This One Summer
  85. Rob Thomas, The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line (Veronica Mars, #1)
  86. Rufi Thorpe, The Girls from Corona del Mar 
  87. H.G.Wells, The Invisible Man
  88. Julia Wertz, Drinking at the Movies
  89. Aaron Whitaker, The City Troll
  90. Suzanne Young, The Program (The Program, #1)
  91. Gabrielle Zevin, Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac
  92. Cecily von Ziegesar, You're the One That I Want (Gossip Girl, #6)
  93. Cecily von Ziegesar, Cum Laude
Biggest Undertaking: House of Leaves. You can read my spoiler-free and short thoughts here. I began the book after a work trip to Dallas in the summer, took a three month break, then read it steadily through the end of November and into December. It was fantastic, but I can't recommend it to everyone. I'll probably move on to S. at some point (J.J. Abrams), but not until I find it at Half Price Books!

Next year: I may follow Popsugar's challenge... I may read more books on my to-read shelf... or I may go with the flow and read whatever I want!

If you're still reading, did we read any of the same books? Any recommendations? And as always, if you're on Goodreads, let's be friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and respond to each comment (either here or I will visit your blog.) Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...