header-custom

Home  +   About  +   Races + Recaps  +   50 States  +   DIY  +   Books

Monday, January 26, 2009

next project: skirt + tie = purse

I made a trip to Goodwill today to donate a car load of stuff. Of course, I had to go in and check everything out. The closest Goodwill has a great selection. Not only do they get a lot of stuff from the local Target, but I've found great quality crystal wine glasses for 99 cents each.

Anyway.... today I was looking in the bedding and drapery area for some fabrics to use for crafts and came across this skirt. I'm not sure why it was with the bedding. I hope someone wasn't trying to hide it...

It was a little too big around the waist and a little too short to wear, but the fabric is awesome so I knew it was a keeper. Those Express designers must be a fan of Amy Butler.

After a while I found myself looking at ties and I decided to use one as a strap and flap. I found two options, but ended up settling on this one with a little help. (I still bought the other one. It was a turquoise and green almost paisley print. It was super cool, but as my helper pointed out, it was a bit too much.)

Above is a quick mock up of what I plan to do (sans fake strap). It will be kind of wide, but I think it will work. If all goes well, I'll make a tutorial. If not, you'll just see the finished product. ;)

1 comment:

  1. That looks very cool, indeed! I just picked up a skirt while thrifting over the weekend, too, that will not be a skirt for long. In its new life, it will become a top! Can't wait to see your finished bag!

    ReplyDelete

I read and respond to each comment (either here or I will visit your blog.) Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...